Sunday 3 March 2024

Hordes of the Things

 We played four games of Hordes of the Things today at Lincombe Barn Wargames Society. These were 40mm frontage (15mm) and 24 points.

 

Game one, Anglo Saxons vs Naked Warriors.

I aimed to hold off the left and tie up the centre while my big block of spearmen pushed through the weak defence on the right, allowing me to turn and move along the ridge, denying Nick the benefit of being uphill.


I went through the Horde defenders and turned towards the stronghold. Unfortunately the other half of my army weren't doing so well and were all killed


Game two: Zardoz vs Naked Warriors.

 

Zardoz for those who don't know is a strange 1974 film by John Boorman starring Sean Connery set in a dystopian future where immortal psychics live in a giant bubble and mask wearing exterminators worship a flying head.

 

As the armies came close to contact I rolled a six and brought on Zardoz, a god, and quickly moved him to the enemy rear.


On the left my Shooters defeated the enemy Warband.


A long engagement with Zardoz in the rear quickly became chaotic with formations broken up all over the place. Eventually the enemy Spear General was killed by Zardoz.

 
Game three: Undead vs Welsh

Nick changed armies which prevented my making a joke about the 'naked and the undead', to Welsh. My Dragon turned up on turn two.


My plan was to pin Nick's line with my Hordes and park the Dragon behind them, blocking their recoil, and also possibly sending the Riders round the side to attack the Stronghold.

The Hordes started being destroyed. I wasn't worried about the points but they were along way from my board edge where I would replace them. By the time the Dragon arrived I decided I needed to try and get the enemy General.


I did get the General although it was the humble Riders who did it alone not the Dragon. However I was down on points so the game continued. The Welsh now poured towards my exposed General while replacement Hordes were only beginning to appear at the rear.


Despite the Dragon coming to help my Magician General was surrounded and killed.

Game four, Welsh v Welsh

I brought out my own Welsh army led by Owain Glyndwr (Hero General), this time I was defending and placed my Stronghold behind a hill I could defend.


The enemy attacked uphill and their Rider General found himself in a sticky situation but managed to escape.


The attackers broke through and attacked the stronghold over several turns but their casualties were mounting. A Warband recoiling from arrow fire into a Horde placed behind them broke the army.


 

We expect to be running our annual competition, Barn Hott, on 9 June. Look out for details as they appear on the club website: https://www.bristolwargaming.co.uk/index.html











1 comment:

  1. Looks like loads of fun, Owen. Got a fair few games in there, too πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ.
    Hoping I’ll be able to make BarnHott. 🎲⚔️🎲⚔️🎲⚔️

    ReplyDelete